Adam Biernat (1985) is a Polish photographer based in Gdansk, Poland and Iceland. He studied architecture (Gdansk University of Technology) and history of art (Gdansk University).
In his work he focuses on seemingly insignificant, negligible moments/objects/places. He closely observes the mundane. With his camera he always tries to look beyond the surface and beyond the literal, to dig into reality and in a way reveal the hidden. He thinks that the strongest photographs come out of reality, are rooted in the real. Silence intrigues him. His images are full of semi-whisper, contemplative qualities. What interests him most, is confronting the descriptive precision of the medium with the intangible.
Adam is an avid traveller. Because of his fascination with faraway places in the north, he has lived for some time in Norwegian Lapland and Iceland. Apart from the far North, he is strongly attracted to Asia and the eastern fringes of Europe. Although traveling inspires him a lot, he is not the one who has to go miles away to photograph. In fact, he loves working in his own backyard as well.
Together with his wife Marta, he runs a blog about Iceland called Bite of Iceland, where you can find more of his photographs.
Adam is available for editorial and commercial assignments both in Iceland and Poland, in case of bigger projects – anywhere in the world. Apart from his personal documentary projects, he specializes in outdoor/adventure and food photography. He spends half of the year in Poland (November-April), and the other half in Iceland (May-October).
- EYJA/ISLAND / Czestochowa Museum, Czestochowa, Poland / 27.03-13.04.2018
- EYJA/ISLAND / Sztuka Wyboru, Gdansk, Poland / 23.11-31.12.2017
- DEBUTS 2016 / andel’s by Vienna House, Cracow, Poland / Kraków Photo Fringe (Cracow Photomonth Festival) / 2017
- DEBUTS 2016 / Expo-Lodz, Lodz, Poland / Film Video Foto Fair / 2017
- 17th International Landscape Biennial ‘Space Definition’ / BWA Gallery, Kielce, Poland / 2016
- DEBUTS 2016 / Municipal Culture Centre, Bydgoszcz, Poland / Vintage Photo Festival / 2016
- DEBUTS 2016 / Centre of Photography ‘Roman House’, Wroclaw, Poland / 2016
- DEBUTS 2016 / andel’s hotel, Lodz, Poland / Fotofestiwal Lodz / 2016
- 2nd Triennale of Pomeranian Art / State Gallery of Art, Sopot, Poland / 2016
- 16th International Landscape Biennial ‘Space Definition’ / BWA Gallery, Kielce, Poland / 2014
- DEBUTS by doc! photo magazine / The most talented emerging Polish photographers of 2016 / Laureate
- 2nd Triennale of Pomeranian Art / State Gallery of Art, Sopot, Poland /2016 / Finalist
- Prix de la Photographie Paris (PX3) 2014 / Fine Art – Architecture / Second Prize
- Prix de la Photographie Paris (PX3) 2014 / Fine Art – Landscape / Honorable Mention
- International Photography Awards (IPA) ‘One Shot: One World’ 2014 / Honorable Mention
- FÆÐA/FOOD vol.2 / magazine / 2017
- 17th International Landscape Biennial ‘Space Definition’ / exhibition catalog / BWA Gallery in Kielce / Kielce 2016
- DEBUTS. Edition 2016 / Warsaw 2016
- 2nd Triennale of Pomeranian Art / exhibition catalog / State Gallery of Art in Sopot / Sopot 2016
- 16th International Landscape Biennial ‘Space Definition’ / exhibition catalog / BWA Gallery in Kielce / Kielce 2014
- Annual PX3 Book (no. 08) / Paris 2014